Target Audience –
- For adults and sailing enthusiasts who wish to earn their sailing qualification to allow them to skipper their own vessel or prepare them for skippering a charter vessel on overseas sailing holidays
- Duration: 9 days – 3 day Yacht Hand course + 6 day Day Skipper course (Three S.A.S assessments – a practical boat handling assessment; a theory exam and a navigation exam – all done with Offshore Sailing Academy on the last 2 days)
- Price: Please contact Werner 073 806 0802 or email email@example.com
- Required Experience: None
A nine day course covering both the Yacht Hand and Yacht Skipper modules. This course is very popular as it usually runs from a Saturday to the following Sunday, so leave required is only five working days! Lectures followed by sailing daily, including one night approach. The first three days of the Combo course is the Yacht Hand module, so an ideal opportunity for family members to join you for the first three days to get some basic sailing experience, and then you continue for the remaining 6 days to obtain your Day Skipper’s ticket.
During the Combo Course, while following the S.A.S Day Skipper Sailing syllabus, you will learn all about sea terms, sails, rope work, fire precautions, safety at sea, man overboard techniques, distress signals, weather, rules of the road, helmsmanship and introduction to full-on advanced navigation. All seamanship skills and navigation skills are upgraded into a leadership role and sailing is of a high standard to enable you to confidently sit the S.A.S Day Skipper Exam with Offshore Sailing Academy.
You will be taught how to:
- Pilot a yacht in familiar waters
- Advanced sailing skills
- Interpreting weather forecasts
- Mooring a boat
- Dealing with emergency situations
- Night sailing familiarisation
- Advanced navigation techniques
- Successful candidates will obtain two certificates:
- SAS Day Skipper’s Ticket Category C for vessels over 9 metres – for sail and power, inland and offshore, allowing you to operate a recreational vessel up to 100 tonnes or up to 25 metres in length, from sunrise to sunset, less than 15 nautical miles from home port or 25 nautical miles from home port, provided not more than 15 nautical miles from a safe haven.
- International Certificate of Competence (ICC) – allowing you to charter overseas (*ICC – for SA citizens/residents only)
BONUS – you will have your legal South African Sailing (SAS) certificate to sail your own boat and use your ICC to charter overseas (Bareboat or Flotilla)
- Additional modules/training to be completed before or after Combo course attendance:
- Short Range Certificate (SRC radio License from SAMSA) (proof of successful completion necessary to satisfy SAS for issuing of Skipper’s ticket)
Note: For your information, we do have an option to complete the course in three modules. This is a viable option for those who are unable to take the time off work to attend the full-time course.